Have you been a victim of terrorism?

Have you been a victim of terrorism?

Disclaimer: This article is intended to provide a summary and general overview only. It is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. You should seek legal advice from a barrister or solicitor working in the area of criminal law before acting or relying on any of its content.

If you have been a victim of overseas terrorism you may be eligible for compensation under the Social Security Amendment (Supporting Australian Victims of Terrorism Overseas) Act 2012 (Cth). Payments have been made under this legislation in connection with the Bali and London bombings under the Social Security Act 1999 (Cth), specifically Part 2.24AA. Under this scheme, up to $75,000 compensation can be paid. Close family members can also recover under this scheme.

Payments can also be made under the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (DRP). The DRP is a one-off payment for people who have been adversely affected by a major disaster, either in Australia or overseas. It is activated when the impact of a disaster is so great that individuals and families require special assistance from the Australian Government.

By Sebastian De Brennan, Barrister, s.debrennan@humanrightslaw.com.au

© 2017 Sebastian De Brennan. Barrister at Law